Bulletproofing the LT for Boost
The LT series GM engines are incredible powerplants as designed – however unlike their predecessor (LSx) – the LT’s commonly rebel when power adders such as superchargers, turbos, and nitrous are added.
unlike the LS – the LT’s commonly rebel when power adders such as superchargers, turbos, and nitrous are added.
The LT powerplants have several weak links when boosted:
- the unique piston and ring land design which was intended for naturally aspirated duty is subject to failure under even minimal detonation.
- preignition has been associated with various detergents found in certain motor oils which become emulsified resultant of the fuel being sprayed under pressure into the cylinder creating unintended combustion
- We have found ring end gaps as small as .008 which will certainly butt together causing cylinder, piston and ring failures when subjected to increased heat and cylinder pressure.
- We have found LTI connecting rods during engine upgrades on stock forced induction engines which were slightly bent even though they were still asymptomatic.
Understanding these limitations – and because GPI strives to provide the best combination of power and reliability for our clients – we have worked with Diamond Racing and Callies to offer a standard compression, 4.070″ bore solution for the Gen V 6.2 liter LT1/L86 engines.
Gwatney Performance is proud to present a Complete 4.070″ Bore Piston and Rod solution for the Gen V LT1 (6.2) Engine! This package is designed specifically for boosted 14+ Corvette’s and 16+ Camaro SS.
Modeled after our Standard Compression 4.065″ Bore Drop-in Piston, we were able to enlarge the piston by .005″ for those who have had their bore size increased to 4.070″. The result is an extremely robust piston and rod package.
This kit is designed to support 1000+HP applications and is the perfect match for your forced induction LT!!
Reliable and consistent high horsepower Gen 5 LT’s! Here is a recent build with these pistons. This is a street car, so power and boost levels are fairly conservative.
- GPI LT Drop In Pistons & Rods
- GPI LT Cylinder Heads
- GPI LT Camshaft (SS1)
- G1Pro Sheet Metal Intake Manifold w/ GPI Port Fuel Injection System
Give us a call at (501) 985-4947 or email [email protected]
To apply for a dealer wholesale account – visit our GPI Dealer Application Page.
Was a bit bummed out about the rod bearing being out of stock but my pistons looked to good in person to be upset.
Arrived on time